About Point CounterPoint
Located lakeside under the Green Mountains and along Lake Dunmore, the mission of Point CounterPoint is to share the love of chamber music in a mutually supported environment in which campers can grow to their full potential.
At Point CounterPoint, we believe that chamber music provides important musical and life lessons. For over 50 years, PCP has been the summer sanctuary for string, woodwind and piano students.
“My time at PCP was of immeasurable importance to my growth as a young musician. It not only provided me with the opportunity to grow musically but also to meet people from very different backgrounds and experiences from my own which had a profound influence on my growth as a person. Additionally, I can honestly say that without my summer at PCP, I would not be in music today”. cellist
What is special about chamber music? Chamber Music is probably every professional musician’s favorite form of music making because it enables you to work with other people yet have an individual voice.
- emphasizes teamwork in a small group setting
- focuses on the equality of individuals and their roles in the success or outcome of the piece thereby eliminating the “first chair mentality”
- fosters independent problem solving among the ensemble members without relying on an adult to mediate between them and solve their issues
- exposes the students to a wide variety of music by great composers
- exposes students to chamber music that they may not experience in a conventional school setting
We also believe that regardless of how interested and passionate young musicians are about learning and playing chamber music, they need time to relax and recharge their batteries. Our non-music activities are meant to provide the fun and relaxation that you would expect from a summer camp experience.