Prelude is a one week camp for string players ages 8-13 designed to introduce both a chamber music experience and a short time away from home. Those with no ensemble experience, as well as more advanced players, participate in chamber groups, and an all-camp music program.
Prelude starts on Sunday afternoon and ends Saturday afternoon with a final concert.
Mornings at Prelude are devoted to lessons, coachings and rehearsals, with a structured break. Some groups will also rehearse in the afternoon. Each camper has a private lesson during the week to help with chamber music repertoire. Generally there is not time for lessons on solo music; campers may certainly practice solo repertoire at camp.
Prelude Session Recap:
- One week starting in late August
- Open to ages 8-13
- Instrumentation is violin, viola, and violoncello, and piano
- Audition Requirements: Two contrasting pieces from standard concerto repertoire, two octave scales
- Placement videos for returning campers are due April 1st
- Each camper plays in one group
- Music is sent home at least 8 weeks ahead of camp
- Faculty Concert on-campus
- Private lesson
- Coached rehearsals daily
- Camp-wide Choir
- Final camper concert off-campus
- Sample Repertoire from past summers: Frank Bridge Miniatures for Piano Trio, Mozart Viennese Serenades for 2 violins and cello, Haydn Quartets Op 54 and Op12- minuet and trio, Mozart String Quartet K 155, Schubert piano trio Op 100, Mendelssohn String quartet Op12- Canzonetta
Playing levels at Prelude
Prelude participants are of varied levels of experience, ranging from Suzuki book 3 to Suzuki book 10 and above. In accepting campers at different levels, we make sure that everyone will be able to play in an ensemble with others at about the same level. Admission is open until April 15th after which campers are accepted based on space availability. Prelude participants were studying solo repertoire that included:
Violin: Vivaldi Concerto in A minor, Corelli La Folia, Bohm Perpetuem, Seitz Concerti, Dancla Air Varie
Viola: Telemann Concerto, Leopold Mozart Concerto, Bach Minuet and Gavotte
Cello: Breval Sonata, Bach Gm Prelude from Suite #1, Tchaikovsky Chanson Triste, Gabriel- Marie La Cinquintaine
Chamber Repertoire: Gurlitt Miniature Piano trios, Pleyel Piano trio, Mendelssohn String quartet Op 12, Haydn London Trios, Haydn Op 76 Minuets, Mozart Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, Schubert String Quartet D32